Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Llandudno Football Club app


Llandudno FC - Match centre

Llandudno Football Club
Tue 6 Mar 20:00 - Cup Full time Attendance 227

Welsh Cup Quarter Final Defeat For Seasiders


Llandudno Outdone Again By Newtown

Llandudno’s re-arranged Welsh Cup Quarter Final got underway at The Giant Hospitality Stadium on Tuesday night against Newtown AFC, with Llandudno looking to reach their first ever Welsh Cup Semi-Final. Llandudno were without the cup tied Robbie Parry, Wes Baynes, Jay Gibbs, and Joseph Carey for the fixture, but new loan signing Joe Heath was available for the competition.

Llandudno got off to a good start and nearly took the lead early on through Mike Williams who rose highest for a corner, but his downwards header was just an inch wide of the upright, an early let off for Newtown.

Newtown looked to target our left hand side through Nick Rushton who was having some success in pressing high up the pitch and attempting to get in over the top of the defence.

Newtown had the first effort on goal as Rushton flicked a ball on to Boundford, but Heath intercepted back to Rutter, who had the ball covered only for Heath to pull back the advancing Boundford in the area, and referee Nick Pratt pointed to the spot. Fletcher stepped up but young Paddy Rutter in goal got down well and saved!

It was Newtown who kept the pressure on for a short spell afterwards, and after clearing a corner the ball was lofted back in but over hit and too close to Rutter, who went to collect, only to be impeded by Neil Mitchell. The referee overlooks the foul and awards a goal to the opposition, much to the disbelief of the ground! 1-0 Newtown.

Once the game has restarted and Llandudno try to get the decision out of their minds they begin to look for a way back in to the game, and it nearly comes from Toby Jones who cuts in from the right hand side and gets a shot away on his left, it’s accurate and dips towards the bottom corner, but Dave Jones who returned to the Newtown side following his suspension produces a fine save to keep his side in the lead.

Half Time
Llandudno 0 - 1 Newtown

The second half got underway and it was nearly 2-0 to the visitors as Mills-Evans gets on to the end of a corner and heads low at the goal, Paddy Rutter just about bundles it away with the help of James Joyce, although suspicions of the ball crossing the line are argued by the opposition.

Mike Williams and Danny Hughes both had to come off the field due to injury, further adding to the depleted squad at the disposal of the management team, and with Hughes making his way off the field the Manager strips off and makes his way on to the field.

Toby Jones makes an excellent run down the right hand side and cuts it across from the by-line to Lee Thomas who came on for the injured Mike Williams, but his effort is a yard wide of the near post.

Following a corner from Llandudno that is over-hit Newtown break through Nick Rushton who is just past the halfway line and in on goal, only for Paddy Rutter to have made the charge out and bring Rushton down. The young goalkeeper is given his marching orders, and the Manager takes on the jersey and dons the keeping gloves for the remainder of the game with Llandudno down to 10 men.

Llandudno didn’t let it affect them too much with 6 minutes additional time called by the fourth official, Llandudno win a free kick 35 yards from goal, with everyone in the box attacking including stand in goalkeeper Williams, Toby Jones delivers a fierce ball on to the head of Marc Williams who throws himself at it, but the Newtown player does well to defend it and clears. From the clearance it’s Nick Rushton again who is away, and this time rolls the ball in to an empty net to double the visitors lead, and send Newtown in to the Welsh Cup Semi-Finals.

Full Time
Llandudno 0 - 2 Newtown

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.


Loading comments

Team sponsors


Club sponsors