Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Llandudno Football Club app


Llandudno crash out of the Nathaniel MG Cup after TNS defeat

By Geraint Roberts

Llandudno were knocked out of the Nathaniel MG Cup against cup holders TNS after losing 5-0 in the quarter-final.

The home side had plenty of chances to take the lead in the first half and were eventually made to rue the missed opportunities.

Iwan Williams made three changes to the side that drew 0-0 to Cefn Druids on Friday night, replacing Leo Smith, Mark Connolly and Matty Williams with Zyaac Edwards, Ieuan Hewitt and Alun Webb.

The first opportunity of the half came to Toby Jones inside the first minute, when a few ricochets fell his way but he failed to make the most of the chance, hitting it wide of the mark.

Mike Pearson and Ieuan Hewitt both had half opportunities to take the lead after just four minutes, but both missed the target.

Llandudno were piling the pressure on in the first ten minutes and George Harry this time went close, but it again failed to hit the target.

Harry went close again after 15 minutes with his header that went over from close range, and just a minute later Steve Thomas missed a chance from 10 yards out.

TNS looked dangerous on the break and always looked capable of catching the home side out, and the inevitable happened on the 26th minute when Danny Redmond headed the ball home to give the visitors the lead.

Llandudno were still in the game at this point and still looked threatening, Kai Edwards unleashed Thomas with a brilliant cross-field pass for Thomas, and his cross found John Owen but he couldn’t direct it goalwards.

Then George Harry arguably should have equalised after 36 minutes when his shot went just wide, and Hewitt then missed his strike from the resulting corner.

Again, Llandudno were made to pay for their missed chances as TNS showed their quality in front of goal just three minutes later, when Danny Redmond got his and TNS’s second of the match.

TNS then got their third right before the half-time whistle blew, Ben Clark tapped home to put the visitors out of sight, whilst Llandudno went into the break wondering how they hadn’t at least scored one.

TNS got their fourth just a few minutes after the restart when Chris Seargeant finished well from the edge of the penalty area.

Iwan Williams brought on youngsters Telor Williams, Osian Jones and Aron Hughes at different points of the second half replacing John Owen, Alun Webb and Steve Thomas in an attempt to change the game.

But it was TNS who got the fifth goal of the game, this time through half-time substitute Josh Hmami who slotted the ball past Shaun Pearson.

The final whistle blew and Llandudno’s Nathaniel MG Cup run was over, and despite seeing off Bangor City and Rhyl in the earlier stages, TNS proved to be a step too far and it is them who progress to the semi-final of the competition.

It’s back to what really matters on the weekend for the Seasiders as they travel to high-flyers Barry Town United, but Llandudno did manage to win the reverse fixture back in September, which could give some confidence to the lads.

Llandudno Eleven
S Pearson, M Pearson, Hewitt, K Edwards, Thomas(80), Webb(73), D Hughes, Z Edwards, T Jones, Harry, Owen(69)

Llandudno Bench
Connolly, Smith, M Williams, T Williams (69),O Jones (73), A Hughes (80)

Nathaniel MG Cup Quarter-Final Results
Llandudno 0-5 TNS
Bala 0-1 Connah’s Quay
Cambrian and Clydach Vale 1-0 Newtown
Cardiff Met Uni 6-0 Haverfordwest

Updated 22:58 - 30 Oct 2018 by Geraint Roberts

Where next?

A Trip to Barry Town next for Llandudno in the Welsh Premier League. Llandudno travel to third placed Barry Town on Sunday in an attempt to do the double over the South Wales outfit.
Llandudno host TNS in Nathaniel MG Cup Quarter-Final Llandudno welcome cup holders TNS to the Giant Hospitality Stadium on Tuesday night for the Nathaniel MG Cup Quarter-Final.


Loading comments

Sat 6 Apr
Llandudno FC Carmarthen Town
League 14:30
Sat 13 Apr
Llandudno FC Cardiff Met
League 14:30

News sponsors


Club sponsors