Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Llandudno Football Club app


Late drama as Llandudno beat Llanelli in six goal thriller

By Geraint Roberts

Llandudno have given themselves hope in the fight for safety after beating Llanelli 4-2 at the Giant Hospitality Stadium.

A hat-trick for Alun Webb and the winner from captain Danny Hughes was eventually enough to see off our relegation rivals and take us off bottom spot.

The first half started off Llandudno’s way with a penalty shout after just five minutes that was waved away by the referee, but just two minutes later, a penalty was given after a foul on Alun Webb.

George Harry stepped up from 12 yards but saw his shot saved, and unlike last week the ball didn’t rebound kindly for him.

The penalty miss seemed to give confidence for the away side who found themselves to be in the game a lot more after it.

A looping header confused goalkeeper Shaun Pearson and luckily hit the post and went out for a goal kick.

The first half seemed to fizzle out after that with neither sides creating clear cut opportunities, and both sides went in at the break on level terms.

Webb got his first chance of the second half just a few minutes after the restart but was well tackled, the ball came out to Toby Jones who’s shot was well saved by Coughlan.

The first goal of the game came just before the hour mark, and this time Webb remained cool to slot his shot beyond the goalkeeper and give Llandudno a deserved lead on the whole.

Steve Thomas brilliantly denied Llanelli a leveller when he got back just in time to tackle the forward, not allowing him to release a shot on Shaun Pearson’s goal.

The 70th minute saw Webb’s and Llandudno’s second of the game after brilliant work on the right hand side from Toby Jones, Webb found himself just a few yards out with all the goal to aim at and he made no mistake.

Webb could have put the game beyond doubt after 74 minutes but his shot was saved this time by Couglan.

The game turned on it’s head when Mike Pearson was shown a red card for a foul in the box, and the away side were awarded a penalty which Chris Jones took well.

Llandudno were looking like they were going to hold on for the 2-1 win but substitute and

Llanelli manager Andy Hill broke Llandudno hearts on the 90th minute to equalise from close range.

But it wasn’t over there, as straight away Llandudno attacked the Llanelli goal despite being a man down, and the ball found it’s way to the box where an unmarked Danny Hughes was able to rattle the ball home from six yards out.

Pandemonium followed at the Giant Hospitality Stadium and it looked like Llandudno were going to get the three points after all.

Webb went on to complete his hat-trick a few minutes later when he expertly took the ball past the keeper and slotted the ball home into an empty net.

A crazy second half eventually saw Llandudno run out as 4-2 winners, keeping our survival hopes alive for another game.

It’s a two week break from the Welsh Premier League now as the Welsh Cup returns, and it’s league holders TNS who is between us and a place in the Semi Finals for the first time.

Cefn Druids away follows, which is another must-win six pointer for Llandudno.

Updated 17:35 - 23 Feb 2019 by Geraint Roberts

Where next?

Easter Raffle Llandudno Football Club Easter Raffle
Club Statement Mark Orme To Join 1st Team Coaching Staff


Loading comments

Fri 8 Mar
Llandudno FC Cefn Druids
League 2 – 2
Sat 2 Mar
Llandudno FC TNS
Cup 1 – 8
Sat 23 Feb
Llandudno FC Llanelli Town
League 4 – 2

News sponsors


Club sponsors